ESP8266 development board

Post your circuits and ideas here
gblades

ESP8266 development board

#1 Post by gblades » 07 Jul 2016, 04:01

I have some ESP8266 ESP-07 modules. I got some PCB's off ebay to convert them to a standard 0.1" pin spacing but they were quite wide and would not fit onto a standard breadboard prototyping strip. So I decided as my first project to make my own.
ESP-07 Dev Rev 3.GIF
ESP-07 Dev Rev 3.GIF (143.38 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Each GPIO pin can be switched using a set of jumpers to be either connected to the strip which is 3V logic levels or via 3V to 5V bi-directional logic level converters onto the other strip.
GPIO0 if unused would normally be switched to the 3V side to avoid it being interfered with by the level converters. It has an internal 10K pullup resistor for normal operation and a jumper which can be used to pull it to ground for programming.
GPIO2 is normally high so if not being used for anything this should be switched to the logic level converter side where there is a 10K pullup resistor.
GPIO15 is normally connected to ground. I have added a 10K resistor to ground on the 3V side so that this can be selected and no additional wiring is required.
The ESP8266 can be either powered by 3.3V into the supply pin on the header or alternatively power can be supplied via the DC input jack or adjacent header which then goes to a 3.3V and 5V regulator. Both regulators have jumpers to connect them to the internal 3.3V and 5V voltage rails so that for example this can be used to power an Arduino.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome as this is the first PCB designed for quite a long time and already at the 3rd revision. I haven't sent it off to get made yet as I am waiting for the DC jacks to arrive so that I can confirm the pin spacing is correct.
Attachments
ESP-07 Dev rev 3.dip
(263.2 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
ESP-07 Dev rev 3.dch
(208.48 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Techno Tronix

Re: ESP8266 development board

#2 Post by Techno Tronix » 12 Aug 2016, 00:40

I like your ESP8266 development board design.
Does it useful for my Internet-connected project? I think it is capable of having WiFi-enabled microcontroller.