Post subject: Designing and Manufacturing with Surface Mount Parts
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2011, 10:57 

The company I work for is switching over to designing and producing products with SMD instead of through hole components. I have little to no experience with designing with surface mount parts. I was hoping some one could help me out with a few questions...

The question I have is I have designed a PCB with 1206 type resistors and I used the recommecded footprint for wavesoldering, I later found out that the company that will be doing the assembly and soldering uses reflow for a soldering process.

Can components with footprints for wavesoldering be soldered using reflow? Or am I going to have malfunctioning PCBs when its all done because of bad soldering?

Post subject: Re: Designing and Manufacturing with Surface Mount Parts
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 01:10 

Can you send me the dimensions of the footprint? We don't do a whole lot of wave-soldering optimized footprints (we are a CM). I'm guessing that you will be ok. The assembler may need to control the amount of solder paste printed before pick and place.

Vetsen

Post subject: Re: Designing and Manufacturing with Surface Mount Parts
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 10:43 

units are in mm

wave soldering pattern
Pad x 1.1
pad y 1.7
distance between pads 2.5
overall size outside pad to outside pad 4.7

reflow pattern
Pad x 1.0
pad y 1.5
distance between pads 2.2
overall size outside pad to outside pad 4.2

actual comp size
Pad x .4
pad y 1.6
distance between pads 2.3
overall size outside pad to outside pad 3.1

The component is a Yageo 1206 resistor chip.

-- 08 Mar 2011, 08:59 --

The company I work for does not assemble the PCBs for surface mount. We assemble PCbs for through hole, we do not have the equipment to assemble surface mount PCBs, we have another company do that for us. So the only time I will see these PCB completed (other then my prototypes)is after production quantities have been ordered from the PCB House and after the Assembling company has assembled production quantities.

I am trying to avoid eating any cost due to miscalculation or assumption on my end (pcb designing) especially sinse I have little knowledge of the surface mount solder process for mass quantities. So any insight would be greatly appreciated.