Post subject: Checking for consistency of exported gerber and n/c drill
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 15:27 

I searched this forum but could not see any similar posts.

I just generated my first PCB using diptrace and submitted to sunstone. I used the export function for the Gerber files and, in error, did not use the N/C Drill format. They replied saying that the through.drl was incorrect and I regenerated it and sent it again.

This time, it seems that the PCB layout was changed (my son was trying some things out) and when I resubmitted, the gerber files and the N/C Drill file were out of sync. Again, sandstone kindly replied.

So, finally my question: Is it possible for me to run some sort of consistency check against the generated Gerber and through.drl file to double-check all the files are in a consistent state with each other?

TIA,
John

Post subject: Re: Checking for consistency of exported gerber and n/c dril
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 08:22 
Technical Support

Hi John,

Check your files in third-party Gerber viewers, for example Pantalogix Viewmate or GC-Preview. They can import Gerber and NC drill files. Free versions allow to review files and it is enough for verification. You can import few layers at once and see how they match to each other.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 10:57 

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try it out...

John

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 14:12 

Hi, this is my first post on here. I have just designed my first PCB using Diptrace (or any other software), although I am an experienced mechanical CAD designer. My board is an extremely simple design (single sided, only 5 components). The only thing unusual about it is that it has a complex outer profile which requires routing. I could not manage to draw the board profile in Diptrace, however, I managed to import it as a dxf from a mechanical CAD package without too much trouble, then add all my pads, tracks and mounting holes, etc. The board looks perfect in Diptrace.
I now need to send the design to a PCB manufacturer. I'm new to gerber and NC drill files, so I want to be extra sure they are correct up front. I exported the files from Diptrace without problems, then tried various online gerber file viewers to see whether they interpreted my files OK. I think the tracks, pads and holes all looked OK, however, the outer profile of the board did not look OK. I am unsure whether this is because there really is a problem with the BoardOutline.gbr which Diptrace created, or because the online viewers I tried only work with simpler board profiles.
If anybody could recommend a program for viewing gerber and nc drill files which is known to be good at viewing gerbers for routed boards created by Diptrace, it'd be much appreciated. It'd be even better if the suitable viewer is free! Thank you,

rjes

Richard

R J Engineered Solutions Ltd

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 07:39 
Technical Support

Pentalogix Viewmate and GC-preview have free Gerber and NC drill viewers. They are good enough.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 07:21 

Thank you. GC-Prevue seems ideal. My files seem OK, so I've ordered the boards

Richard

R J Engineered Solutions Ltd