Unwanted solder mask on a via - help!

Preparing layout for manufacturing, Requirements, Verifications. PCB manufacturing process. Feedback about manufacturers.
d-rainger

Unwanted solder mask on a via - help!

#1 Post by d-rainger » 01 Mar 2013, 10:23

I'm using 'static vias' on a double-sided board I'm designing, and thought I was all done. But then the manufacturers got back to me saying for these vias I've got solder mask on both sides of the pcb - so I won't be able to solder them. Looking at the Gerber export preview - sure enough - shows a big empty space where there should be the dark gaps in the mask (and meanwhile everything else looks fine).
'OK - I'll just change some of the settings for those vias' I thought... But nothing I do changes anything! I go to 'mask/paste settings' and tick 'disable for via - bottom solder mask' and 'bottom paste mask', but to no effect.
Got any ideas?
I've closed and re-opened the program.
I'm using Diptrace Lite edition, vsn 2.3.0.3

I thought I was getting OK at it - but maybe not!

PeterT

Re: Unwanted solder mask on a via - help!

#2 Post by PeterT » 19 Feb 2014, 13:59

I'm a bit new to DT myself, but I don't think you want to use vias as vias are typically not masked on the soldermask layers. If you want a through-hole to solder to, I would suggest adding a test point component and specifying the hole you want in the pattern editor.

eshall

#3 Post by eshall » 02 Jan 2015, 01:56

You can't open two files in one screen but you can merge two boards. Open the first file, convert its board outline to board cutout, enable option "Edit/ Keep RefDes while Pasting", select all and copy to clipboard. Then open second board and paste the first one from clipboard.
eshall

Tony Philipsson

#4 Post by Tony Philipsson » 27 Jun 2015, 16:11

Tented via's is what I prefer.
Sometimes open via's is good up you think you have to use them as test points or put a jumper due to mistake.

if Via's is not check-marked when you export gerber solder mask, then it will be tented.

Some manufactures can only do open or tented if both sides of the via is of the same setting.