Post subject: Net ports
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014, 21:26 

Hi,

among the features I think are missing in Dip Trace are ports for connecting wires and pins to nets on the same sheet or across sheets. I know this can also be accomplished by simply assigning wires to specific nets and by use of schematic symbols that are defined as net ports. However, I find these a poor substitute for the real thing.

Here is how I think they should work. See the attached file for examples. Altium may also be used to a degree as a reference.
- The port symbol should be a frame that contains the associated net label.
- The frame would not point at all, point toward the wire, away from the wire or in both directions for: unspecified, input, output or bidirectional signals.
- The pointer has no electrical significance but is simply an aid in visualizing the signal flow
- When placed on a schematic and connected to a wire, the port should assume the net name of that wire. When another name is typed in, that name should be assigned to the wire (also see this post for reference: http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9713&hilit=net+ports).
- The port frame should be initially wide enough to accommodate the label text. But in addition it should be resizable to allow making a column of ports all the same width, despite differences in text length.
- It should be possible to align the text left/center/right
- It should be possible to rotate the port so that it can point left/right or up/down
- The port symbol should be just tall enough to allow connecting ports to wires that are just one grid increment apart, without the port symbols overlapping. But they may touch, thus using the maximum space available to allow for readable text. Note that this may require some dynamic sizing of the symbol height based on the grid type used (0.1"/2.54mm or 2.5mm and perhaps others).

Using net port symbols is really awkward in comparison. In addition, with these it is hard to make a schematic look tidy, because text uses the symbol (or wire in case of displaying the net name) as baseline, rather then centering on it. Also text does not like to align horizontally. Tiding up thus requires setting an ultra fine grid and then placing text by eyeball.

Making a frame that way is just impossible, because symbols cannot be resized, plus the text will always be placed outside and then needs to be moved once the symbol is placed on the schematic.

lots of extra work...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Net ports
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 09:01 

Hello Thchie66,

once time i use a lot of net ports in my schematic, now, as like in Orcad, i use this system.

I place a wire and end it up in the air (on sheet) selecting "ENTER" in the mouse right button drop down menu.

I select in the same menu with cursor on the wire, the name of the label, a window with an entering space preload with the Net name will open.
I change the name and confirm.

I select in the same menu with cursor on the wire "DISPLAY NAME".

I think it would be usefull, in the "Net" window to have a button that open a drop down menu to choose a net between all just used in the schematic.

Nice day.