Post subject: Boards, Shapes, Keepout Placement and other wishlist items
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 06:11 

Hi,

This is a bit of a brain dump of what maybe bugs, feature requests, miss-understanding and clarifications - happy to split posts if required ... just let me know :-)

Features that I would love to see:

1. Board point editor - when selecting a board point in the list, for the selected board point to be highlighted on the board layout, so you can see easily which board point you are editing.

2. Support for boards and shapes to have features like 'union', 'intersect' and other shape operations performed - would make it easy creating more irregular shapes and boards.

3. Shape editor (list of points) to have the same incremental option as board points editor.

4. Ability to place a route keepout around the edge of the board ('Depending on board with Snap to board outline') exactly like the options on the copper pour.

5. Consistent ability to use escape key to clear dialogues - works on some but not others. (e.g. Good=Route Hierarchy, Bad=Find Pattern)

6. Ability to select copper pour using mouse by clicking any point in the pour (with additional selector key - i.e. control/alt etc) - makes it easier to deal with copper pour updates etc rather than tracking down an edge (which with pulled back board outlines, isn't the visible edge of the pour)

7. Ability to switch units on any dialogues - i.e. when editing board layouts, i'm working in mm, but want the normal editor in mil for trace layout.

8. Ability to select units via hotkey (may be okay instead of 7 as quick to do before) - so I can flip between units very quickly - edit board layout, swap to mil for traces, but inch for header placement etc. I'm sure i'm not the only one who can't work in single units for all and convert on the fly.

9. 3D Viewer - Ability to rotate around Z access for laptop users with only a trackpad - perhaps with a Shift/Alt key modifier and right button depressed?

10. Segment Draw - i.e. the ability to draw a simple rounded corner - 45 degrees of a cirlce. Managed it with the arc tool, but required multiple zooms, grid snap changes to be able to place the arc point to get perfect segment. Almost resorted to

11. Ability to scale an object or group - i.e. if I want to make the the oval I just drew for 10, double the size or as variants, I don't want to have to manually draw it 10 times for 10 variants - its just too hard :-(

12. Bug ? Print Preview - zoom in / zoom out seem to modify the pcb print scaling and not just the display/preview scaling ? I would expect the zoom option to zoom in on the printout not modify the print size ?

13. Panelizing - Is there any way to specify where the panels are routed - i.e. if we want links between panels across the corner of boards or mid way along the side etc ?

Query about UI : Object | Display and Select vs Selection Only

Could someone also clarify exactly what the objects | Display and Selection and Selection Only are for ? If I set an object to non-selectable in Selection Only, thats fine and I can't select it, but then I swap to Display and Selection and its ticked, but I still can't select it. So is 'Display and Selection' only the ability to disable view really, given you can't select something thats not shown and simply complements 'Selection Only'?

-- 22 Jan 2014, 08:10 --

Has anyone from Diptrace seen these - I was expecting some acknowledgement of the posting either saying thanks for don't bother with these kinds of posting?

Post subject: Re: Boards, Shapes, Keepout Placement and other wishlist ite
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 10:07 
Technical Support

Hi Enly1,

I saw and read your suggestions. Thank you. Some suggestions aren't new for us, users already suggested similar improvements. Other features are useful too, we will consider them when we plan improvements for future versions.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 03:12 

Alex wrote:
Hi Enly1,

I saw and read your suggestions. Thank you. Some suggestions aren't new for us, users already suggested similar improvements. Other features are useful too, we will consider them when we plan improvements for future versions.

Thanks for the note - In the above list there were a couple of queries and possible bug reports as well.

Are you able to comment on them and/or should I repost them on another sub-forum ?

i.e.
* print preview zoom - should this really be changing the print size, not the view size.
* What exactly the display and select vs select only are.

Thanks

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 08:23 
Expert

enly1 wrote:

* print preview zoom - should this really be changing the print size, not the view size.

Thanks

It depends on which dropdown list is highlighted in preview, namely Scale: oder Print Scale:.
Scale does not change the print size.

In v2.3.5.2 Beta now mouse wheel scrolling only does change view scaling wether print scale is highlighted or not.

us

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 08:34 

I'm afraid it doesn't?

Print preview. Highlight the scale dropdown (text shows blue). Click on drawing then zoom in or out. Print scale dropfiwn changes.

If you set show titles etc you see the size of the board grow but the frame remain unchanged.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 08:54 
Expert

enly1 wrote:
I'm afraid it doesn't?
Print preview. Highlight the scale dropdown (text shows blue).

Yep.

enly1 wrote:
Click on drawing then zoom in or out. Print scale dropfiwn changes.

If you set show titles etc you see the size of the board grow but the frame remain unchanged.

No. It worked perfect for me (old DT and Beta). Print scale remains by 100%.

Are you running linux?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 09:52 

No both machines windows and recently downloaded installs.

2.3.1.0 windows 7