DipTrace Team has the question to our users

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
firehopper

Re: DipTrace Team has the question to our users

#11 Post by firehopper » 09 Jan 2013, 13:43

cypress psoc1, psoc3, psoc5LP series, and

STM STCS2A chip. its a PowerSO-10 part. and I have not seen any of that package in your librarys yet

andyturk

#12 Post by andyturk » 16 Jan 2013, 19:54

Personally, I think DipTrace is already pretty good in the library area. What I'd be interested in seeing is a better interface to libraries that already exist.

1) Searching for a component/pattern is noticeably slow. It should be instantaneous.

2) If you don't know the (exact) name of the component you need, finding it can be difficult. When I needed a USB connector component, I searched for "usb" and found nothing in the standard libraries. Open the USB library and search for "usb" and you still get an empty result.

3) It should be possible to browse the contents of a library from the "Find Component" dialog. Many times when I'm looking for something, I have to open the Component editor to find out what's actually inside a library. One way to improve the existing Find dialog would be to have a wildcard pattern (e.g., "*") that would match all components.

However, a better way would be to have the Find Component dialog list *every* matching component and update the list on every keystroke. All text fields can match, so there's no need to specify name or refdes, or anything else, and use full-text search on every field. Each word in the search has to match a word somewhere in the target, so searching for "u" narrows the result to those components with a word beginning with "u". Type an "s" and the search narrows to components with a word beginning with "us". Type space "1734" and you'd see USB connectors. An empty search field matches *everything*.

You should be able to type search terms like "usb smd", or "cap 0805" and see all the appropriate components in a fraction of a second--just like Google's instant search.

mcbane

#13 Post by mcbane » 21 Jan 2013, 06:54

I am new to dip trace and a hobbyist rather than a pro, so perhaps my frustrations are more to do with incorrect work flow than with the software. But here goes:

I would second the comment re finding components. For example, I needed to find an 8 resistor parallel network for my schematic, with a narrow SOIC-16 pattern. But when I look through the available resistor nets, all I see are 6-7 digit part numbers. The only way to do this is to search for those part numbers one by one on digikey to see what they are and whether one will work. That is such a laborious process that, in the interest of time, I have found it much faster to create my own custom components for nearly all parts in my schematics.

It would be handier if there was a parametric search, to find something by its characteristics than by what its part number is. In such a search I would have searched for "resistor net", "parallel", "8", "SOIC", and "narrow". The same way I would find a specific part at digikey, mouser, or wherever.

An advantage to that approach is that the part in my schematic remains generic until I go shopping for parts. I don't see why the schematic needs to know that my resistor net is made by CTS and has a specific part number.

thanks for considering my input

bobcad guy

#14 Post by bobcad guy » 21 Jan 2013, 07:37

Can you convert DWG or DXF or maybe IGES files to WRL 3D Models? or do you have a free program so we can help expand the 3D Models?

spsmith

#15 Post by spsmith » 22 Jan 2013, 06:34

Agree on smt power supply inductors/coils such as Coilcraft, Murata, etc.
RF connectors: more recent BNC & SMA, USB.
Newer smt switcher supplies from LT or TI with center pads.
smt PSoC micros from Cypress.

Thanks - Steve

queenidog

#16 Post by queenidog » 22 Jan 2013, 08:09

Any and all Phoenix connectors. We used to use tons of them in our panel shop because they were the best.

hmlittle59

#17 Post by hmlittle59 » 23 Jan 2013, 07:39

Hello DipTrace,

VERY Glad you ask. I agree with (Sid and John), although I did not see 2.1mm power in his list but that should only be the inner dimension. To me the 3d view is very critical in helping me(NEWBIES) learn NOT to make any layout errors. The PCB layout only give me about 75% visual of how my PCB will look when I receive it back. The 3d viewer has been great, 99.99999% in helping me avoid (connector housings) from bumping into the next part. This would happen with my initial designs before the 3d view. Also it help with all silk screen markings(LOGOS, Component, I/O ports) to avoid miss prints when PCB's arrive. I've tried my hand at making 3d components and that did not go so good, so for now I simulate a Audible Buzzer(PIEZO) with a Large Capacitor, Male 2 x 5 w/ 2 x 5 with housing, Battery Housing with a Chip, etc.
The Power Connectors and Male Headers should be added at all cause. Some components are part of any hobbyist first design and would help them avoid critical spacing errors.
Also, I know I'm still far from knowing all the ins and outs of this program and how best to use it and it's components but the 3d parts list just drives me "CRAZY" when it comes to finding components. I don't know how much control your programmers have over the 3D VIEWER PARTS LIST but HEADERS at each component change would be GRRRREAT(ex: RESISTOR:, CAPACITOR:, CONNECTORS:, HEADERS:, DIP IC:, SMT IC: etc.). After the short learning curve with DipTrace, this part brings me to a complete halt and is very frustrating. There has to be a better way of sorting the list and reduce the learning curve. After all, that's what DipTrace is all about.

That it for now.
Thanks for the request

LITTLEHM, LLC
http://www.GarageDoorValet.com

Alex
Technical Support

#18 Post by Alex » 23 Jan 2013, 22:08

bobcad guy wrote:Can you convert DWG or DXF or maybe IGES files to WRL 3D Models? or do you have a free program so we can help expand the 3D Models?
You seem to mix up topic. We want suggestions about new components in future versions here.

Anyway, you can use third-party converters to get WRL 3D models. I'm not sure about DWG or DXF but IGES files can be converted. For example, FreeCAD can do it, maybe other CADs can too.

bruhnstv

#19 Post by bruhnstv » 27 Jan 2013, 07:28

A simple one: add a 1mm fiducial component, perhaps to both Disc_Sch and Disc_SMD or maybe just to Misc.
Cheers,
Tom

Sbmeirow

#20 Post by Sbmeirow » 13 Feb 2013, 15:39

bruhnstv wrote:A simple one: add a 1mm fiducial component, perhaps to both Disc_Sch and Disc_SMD or maybe just to Misc.
agree, various types of fiducials would be great.

-- 13 Feb 2013, 20:44 --

High quality "Copyright" symbol and other common PCB symbols. Yes, I know this isn't a part.

-- 13 Feb 2013, 21:02 --

Machine Screws and Standoffs, so you can ensure that you have enough space for it on the PCB.

Machine Screws:
- panhead is mandatory. other head types would be welcome, but concentrate on all the popular smaller sizes of panhead first.
- common ansi: 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, ...
- common metric: 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 3.5mm, ...
- length: various common lengths, including a very short length that would be useful when you put a standoff on the other side of the PCB (thus thread is hidden).

Standoffs:
- Sides: Round and Hex
- Sex: F/F, F/M, M/M
- common ansi and metric thickness.
- various lengths.
- material: brass and white plastic

-- 13 Feb 2013, 21:04 --

numerous sizes of:
- male box headers: 2xN
- male headers: 1xN, 2xN, 3xN
- female headers: 1xN, 2xN, 4xN
- all of the above in 2.54mm and 2mm.

-- 13 Feb 2013, 21:06 --

All parts that are typically found on Arduino boards and shields. A person should be able to design any Arduino with the default library.